My Compassion* student turns 20 tomorrow. I’ve never met her, but I feel a lot of affection for her. I wish I could pick up the phone or at least email, but I cannot (those are the rules!). Thankfully, I can pray for her. But I don’t even have personal prayer requests from her because I’ve only sponsored her for a few months and it takes a while to get correspondence going.
So, this morning I asked God for help. True to His word, He helped me know what to pray (Romans 8:26). I know many of you sponsor children through Compassion and other relief organizations, so I share these ideas and prayers with you in case you want to use them as you pray for your special kids.
- Loving Creator, You knew M before she was born. You created her and wrote every one of her days in Your book before one of them came to be. Let her know how special she is, and how much You love her (Psalm 139:16).
- Compassionate Father, make M a woman after Your own heart (Acts 13:22).
- Wise God, Give M wisdom, knowledge and understanding of all kinds of learning (Daniel 1:17).
- Holy Spirit, remind M to fan into flame the spiritual gifts You have given her (2 Timothy 1:6).
- Good Shepherd, protect M from the evil one’s schemes of fear, discouragement, and defeat. Remind her that she can do all things through You and Your strength. (2 Corinthians 2:11, Philippians 4:13).
- Lord Jesus, You have good plans for M. Please fulfill every single one of Your purposes for her (Psalm 138:8)!
- Master, give M favor with You and with people (Luke 2:52). But help her always to obey You rather than people (Acts 5:29).
- Generous God, give M a generous heart and supply all her needs according to Your limitless riches in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:18-19).
- Jehovah-Rapha, please keep M healthy and cause her to prosper—body, soul, and spirit (3 John 2).
- King of kings, rule over M’s nation. Cause her nation’s leaders to govern in ways that allow her and all the believers there to live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity (1 Timothy 2:2).
- Lord Jesus Christ, help everyone in M’s household to believe in You! Bring salvation to all of them! (Acts 16:31).
- Ever-Present One, may M always know that You are with her. May she never feel alone. (Hebrews 13:5).
I know I’ll be praying these prayers for M long after her birthday. But somehow knowing that the God who knows her inside and out actually showed me how to pray for her helps me feel closer to her—and to Him. I hope she can feel it, too!
* For more information on child and student sponsorship through Compassion, go to http://www.compassion.com/sponsor_a_child/default.htm